Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Reflections on Halloween

I spent yesterday putting up a small setup of decorations and handing out candy to trick or treaters. I dressed up a little, kept it simple. I didn't have the energy to go all out with a costume, like the corset costume I wore last year. I was alone this year as the hubby was out of town for work. I rounded off the evening with eating dinner and watching Hocus Pocus.

I've thought about what Halloween means to me. Honestly, I'm really not that big on the whole ancestors thing. I know, how very un-Pagan of me... It just doesn't resonate with me. Not sure why, but it just doesn't. For me, Halloween seems to really ring in Fall/Autumn. Right now, we live in southern California. There isn't a ton of seasonal changes here, when you're used to four distinct seasons from having grown up in the Midwest. But at Halloween, I really feel Fall. The light has changed. Here, it starts to be much cooler more consistently. It really FEELS like Fall. So, that's what Halloween really means to me. Definite Fall, moving towards winter.

I know the veil is thinner at Halloween. I can feel it. "Activity" picks up around then. I'll often do divination on Halloween, though I didn't this year. I was too tired from all I did with getting ready for trick or treating and handing out candy for three hours. I don't mind a bit of spooky stuff, but I really don't like lots of gore or really scary stuff. I like black and orange and purple. I like the typical trappings of pumpkins, black cats, spiders, etc. I guess you could say I like my Halloween rated PG at most.

For me, I guess I tend more towards the secular of Halloween than the spiritual aspects of it. My spirituality tends to be more based on nature, rather than a specific spiritual or religious path. I love Halloween and the fun it brings. I honor it for being a harbinger of Fall and winter for me.

What does Halloween mean to you? Feel free to respond in the comments.



Please consider also joining me on Tumblr and Pinterest.
renarassacredspace.tumblr.com

www.pinterest.com/RenaraTarot/
Pinterest app: @RenaraTarot

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly, if appropriate.