Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Sun and Moon Tarot deck interview

My absolute favorite Tarot deck is the Sun and Moon Tarot by Vanessa Decort. This deck is my primary working deck, though I enjoy working with other decks as well. When I first started trying to learn Tarot I purchased a different deck that I absolutely LOVE the artwork on, Ciro Marchetti's Gilded Tarot. I absolutely adore Ciro's artwork and have all of his decks. Unfortunately I just didn't connect with the deck at all. I tried for several months to use that deck with several workbooks I'd bought and I just couldn't get anywhere. I had a complete roadblock and was incredibly frustrated. I decided to set Tarot aside for a while and come back to it later. A few months later I was in a metaphysical shop and browsed their Tarot deck selection. I saw the Sun and Moon Tarot and was intrigued. The store had an open sample copy that you could look through. I started to thumb through the deck and was stunned. As I looked through the deck words and impressions jumped to mind the instant I looked at a new card. I remember thinking to myself "so this must be what people are talking about when they say intuitive reading." I was ecstatic! I bought the deck and took it home and started working with it right away. Everything just started clicking! Meanings and keywords popped into my head when I looked at the cards. I was making progress with the workbooks I had struggled with. I was so happy! My Tarot journey had begun.

One thing I didn't prefer about the Sun and Moon Tarot is the borders on the cards. The cards are designed with a white border on all four sides. For the Major Arcana, the bottom border has the card title written on it and the card number at the top. For the Minor Arcana, the cards have the title at the bottom and a keyword at the top. I don't like decks with keywords on them. Many times the keywords didn't correlate with my personal interpretation of the card. I had seen a technique about trimming the borders off Tarot cards. I decided to give that a try. My first go I trimmed all 4 borders off and rounded the corners with a corner rounder. It looked lovely, but I found that I missed having the card titles on the bottom of the cards. So I purchased two new copies of the deck, one to trim and one to leave whole and in its original packaging, just in case. I trimmed off three sides of the borders, leaving the bottom border with the card title on, and rounded the corners. The result was gorgeous and I LOVED it! I will say that trimming a deck is a LOT of work. I used a paper trimmer and a corner rounder. It took several days and a numb hand at the end to get it all done. This deck has a thicker cardstock. Trimming 3 sides and 4 corners off 78 cards (twice, in this instance) was a LOT of work. It was worth it in the end though, at least for me. I know there's some out there that feel it is sacrilegious to cut or modify a Tarot card. I don't feel that way. I believe that if it works for you then it's fine. There's a lot of supposed rules for using and working with Tarot and I just haven't found most of them to be hard and fast. But that's another post...

Here's a picture of my deck interview spread for the Sun and Moon Tarot. You'll notice that for each spread position I actually have 3 cards, not just one. For me, I have found that I do best with three cards in each spread position as opposed to just one. A single card wasn't giving me enough information. Most people use a single card for each spread position. To each their own. You have to find what works for you.



My deck interview spread is fairly simple. I ask four questions. What should I know about your personality and characteristics as a deck? What are your strengths as a deck? What are your weaknesses as a deck? What types of readings do you prefer to do/answer?

What should I know about your personality and characteristics as a deck?
7 of Wands, Ace of Swords, The Magician
     This deck shows what's coming. It's great for gaining new perspectives, thinking about things in a new way. It's also a great deck for self-empowerment and focusing your energies for manifestation of goals.

What are your strengths as a deck?
Temperance, High Priestess, King of Pentacles
     This deck is great at giving balanced perspectives. It works very well with intuition. It's also very good for practical applications, taking charge of your daily life.

What are your weaknesses as a deck?
Prince of Swords, King of Swords, Prince of Cups
     This one gave me a bit of trouble. I had to think for a while to interpret this. This deck has difficulties with helping to turn thoughts into actions, facing an issue head on, telling people with direction they need to go. It often tells you what you already know, kinda "DUH!" type moments, though these are great for confirmation of the situation. It often tells you how you feel about a situation but isn't great at doing deeper emotional work.

What types of readings do you prefer to do/answer?
Universe (The World), Empress, King of Cups
     This deck likes big picture readings. It's great for getting information on the whole story, the big picture. It's also very good for caring, nurturing, and supportive readings, especially for the self. It's also good at relationship and emotional readings, how to take charge when it comes to your relationships and your emotions.

I hope you've enjoyed this deck interview spread with the Sun and Moon Tarot. Please join me for more deck interview spreads in the future!  :-)



http://www.vanessadecort.net/
https://www.usgamesinc.com/Sun-and-Moon-Tarot/
http://www.ciromarchetti.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly, if appropriate.