Pages

Friday, July 15, 2016

I'm Back... Tarot Images Copyright Issue Resolved

I had to take a break...
Hi Everyone! I'm back. I took a break from blogging for a few reasons. First and foremost, an issue came up about Tarot images and copyright. I've been including pictures I've taken of Tarot and Oracle spreads and layouts I've done. I didn't know that some publishers considered that a violation of copyright protections. The issue came to a head online and I was following it through Facebook. The Tarot community addressed our concerns about this to the major deck publishers. Apparently, we weren't supposed to be sharing all the wonderful spread pictures and unboxing videos, and pictures we'd taken of spread and layouts to send to clients with their email readings. I didn't want to create any more blog posts that I might be required to take down until this issue was resolved.

Piracy and Fair Usage
There definitely have been ongoing issues with pirating of Tarot decks, especially out of Eastern Europe and Russia. Copying and selling decks that aren't yours is wrong, period, and a violation of copyright laws. But the Tarot community felt it was unfair of publishers to so strictly limit us in how we use and share images we personally have taken of spreads and layouts we've done, basically in the spirit of Fair Usage. Not taking pictures and selling them, but posting them on our blogs and social media, and sharing them with our clients in email and phone/Skype readings. Clients would see the layout if we were reading in person. To not be able to share a picture of a spread or layout we did with a phone/Skype or email client is unfair and basically penalizing readers who choose to not do in person readings, for whatever reason. We brought up these issues to the major deck publishers.

Major Publishers Policy Changes
I'm happy to say that the major deck publishers have clarified and even changed their image sharing policies. US Games was the first to change their policy and has been very generous in how they now allow usage. Llewellyn followed suit, after a little while, and after some confusing back and forth emails from members of the Tarot community as they worked to address the issue. Schiffer and Blue Angel have also come out in support of the Tarot community.

For more detailed information, please feel free to read this blog post by Tarot Association:

Tarot Association-Tarot Copyright

So now I'm back...
With that clarified and resolved I feel comfortable with blogging again. I also had gotten a little burned out, which I hadn't realized. I'm working to start a Tarot reading business, which I'm quite excited about. I've been taking a 21 day course by Fiona Benjamin, for starting a mystical business. Between that and blogging I'd let my self-care fall to the wayside. This all culminated in me pulling my back about 2 weeks ago. The first night was one of the most painful things I've ever experienced, and I've had abdominal surgeries before. I was literally forced to lay on my back for over a week, almost continually. Sitting was extremely painful. I was able to get up and walk a bit here and there each day, but spent most of my time laying down.

I realized that I'd gotten a bit burned out and needed to start back up on my self-care. I'd gotten so excited about starting my business that I forgot to take care of myself. So I started back on my self-care practices. I worked with my crystals and stones and did some personal Tarot and Oracle readings for myself. I'm finally starting to feel better and well enough to slowly start blogging and working on my business again. I've gotten some great ideas for my blog and my business from several resources lately. I'm excited about some upcoming improvements to my blog and blogging and hopefully getting my Tarot business started soon.

I hope you'll join me for future posts. I'm excited to share some new topics and even some new topic series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly, if appropriate.