Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Welcome to my very eclectic Pagan path...

  Welcome to Renara's Sacred Space!
Here I'll be talking about my personal Pagan path and various related topics.

Paganism encompasses many different paths. At its most basic, my path could be described as "eclectic." Even "eclectic" can include so many different things. So here's some things that I would consider as descriptive of my personal path:

Pagan-practicing an earth-based or nature-based religion/spirituality

Shamanic practices- Wikipedia describes shamanism as a "practitioner [that reaches] altered states of consciousness in order to encounter and interact with the Spirit world." I'd say that's a pretty good start for defining shamanism and shamanic practices. These altered states are reached through a variety of means including drumming, rattling, and breathwork.

Urban
-I live in the city. Far too many people think that you have to live out in the middle of nowhere and be off the grid and totally self-sufficient to be a "true" Pagan. Not so! There's plenty of nature right here in our cities and just outside of them, if we just look for it.

Bio-regional-"A bio-region (also known as an ecoregion) is an area marked by natural phenomena [as opposed to arbitrary manmade borders], such as watersheds, mountain ranges, and other geographic formations. More detail is added when the flora, fauna, and weather and climactic patterns are taken into account." (Lupa, Plant and Fungus Totems, 2014) It's a way of looking at the relationships between the land and all who live there including animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, insects, etc, including humans.
          http://www.thegreenwolf.com/blog/

Totemic/animistic-Having to do with the belief that everything has a spirit or a soul, including animals, plants, places (including things like rivers and streams, mountains, forests, etc), and things (rocks, inanimate objects, etc)

Ecology and Geology- The study of organisms and their interactions with their environment and other organisms; the study of the solid Earth and how it changes (Wikipedia)

Humanism-"The philosophy or life stance of secular humanism (alternatively known by some adherents as Humanism, specifically with a capital H to distinguish it from other forms of humanism) embraces human reason, ethics, and philosophical naturalism while specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience, and superstition as the basis of morality and decision making." (Wikipedia)

Tarot and Oracle cards- I LOVE working with Tarot and Oracle cards! They are a VERY important part of my personal path. I will be discussing these often and will describe them more and their differences in future posts.

Divination-My friend Shaman describes divination as "asking questions and seeking answers." For me, divination is about using any of a variety of tools to seek insight into the flow of energy, experiences, and potentials of the Cosmic Web (for lack of a better term) so that we can try to make the best choices that are in line with our interests and goals. We can also use these tools to seek personal insight into the depths of ourselves for personal growth.

Crystals and stones- I adore working with crystals and stones! Going along with my perspective on animism, I believe that all stones have and resonate with an energy that varies with the individual properties of the different types of stones and individual stones themselves. This energy can and does interact with the energies around it, including our own personal energy. These energetic interactions can work to influence and change the energies involved.

Energy working and healing-For me, this includes using a variety of different alternative methods to assist with healing and wellbeing. These can include Reiki, healing touch, crystals and stones, color, sound therapies, music, etc. I personally believe in using alternative therapies in addition to and to complement a variety of, but not necessarily in place of, conventional medicine therapies.

Ritual and ceremony-These for me are ways to celebrate and honor various aspects of life and rites of passage, deity and religious/spiritual beliefs, the self, the seasonal cycles of the sun and moon, commemorative events, etc.

Altar-For me, altars and shrines are collections and arrangements of objects you hold sacred or are important to you. They are a place/space for connecting with your beliefs and doing any spiritual or religious work you feel called to do. They can take many shapes and forms and are unique for each person.

Candles-I just love working with candles. My favorites, and what I primarily use, are beeswax candles. I really enjoy the light, smell, and energy of working with candles.

Polytheism- There are two types of polytheism that are generally recognized. Hard polytheism is about the belief that the various deities are unique and individual unto themselves. They have their own unique and distinct identities, personalities, cultures, etc. Soft polytheism generally follows the belief that deities are all aspects or facets of a single (or two) ultimate being. Archetypes are also a part of soft polytheism. There is great debate over which type, hard or soft, is correct and right. I personally believe in hard polytheism (that deities are unique and distinct individuals unto themselves) but I also see validity in the role of archetypes as well. As with many things, everyone has their own personal opinion and perspective on this. My perspective is based on my personal experiences, which are likely very different from another person's.

Meditation and visualization-Techniques I utilize for relaxation and personal growth

Reading-I personally consider reading to be an essential part of my path. I LOVE reading and learning. Reading for me has been integral in exploring my spirituality, personal growth, and becoming who I am today.

Solitary-I tend to be a solitary practitioner. I prefer to practice my path on my own, for the most part. I do enjoy participating in some group rituals and classes on occasion. However my path is generally personal and solitary.

Solar (Sun), Lunar (Moon), Solstices/Equinoxes and the Four Seasons-Generally referred to by many Pagans as The Wheel of the Year, the yearly cycle of seasons and the cycle of the moon are important parts of my path. I don't celebrate a "traditional" 8 holiday version of the Wheel of the Year, however. I personally prefer to honor the solstices and equinoxes since those are "observable" phenomenon and incorporate local observances of the changes associated with the cycle of the seasons. These will vary from place to place as different locations experience differences in climate as well as local agricultural cycles.

Halloween-For me, Halloween is both a secular and a religious/spiritual holiday. I enjoy the typical secular observances of dressing up, giving out and receiving candy, the scary aspects traditionally associated with Halloween, etc. I also celebrate this holiday in a more spiritual day with using it as a day to honor and remember those who have passed on before, especially those within the past year.

Whew... That was more than I originally thought it would be. :-) While it may not be everything, it covers a lot of what I consider parts of my personal Pagan path. Everyone's path is different. In future posts I'll be exploring and sharing parts of my personal path....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Comments on this blog are moderated. Your comment will be reviewed and posted shortly, if appropriate.